Angel Gonzalez is the Hillsborough market president for SouthState Bank. He has been with CenterState, now SouthState, since 2007, when he began his career as a management trainee. He was responsible for the successful launch of the banks’ current underwriting and approval software.
He has served as the Hillsborough market president since April 2017. In his current role, he is responsible for the management and growth of $750 million in assets and $550 million in deposits.
He has served on multiple boards for nonprofits and government services agencies.
1. College alma mater? Southeastern University.
2. Last book you read? The Outsiders, by William N. Thorndike Jr.
3. Last place you vacationed? The Exumas in the Bahamas.
4. PC or Mac? PC.
5. Guilty-pleasure food? Butter chicken.
6. We’ll find you on the weekend doing? Poolside at Tampa Yacht and Country Club with my family.
7. Biggest fear? Heights.
8. Proudest moment? When Rose said yes.
9. Dream dinner companion? My grandfather, Luis Hernandez.
10. Any pets? Two guinea pigs, Sugar and Nutmeg.
11. Who did you last text? Craig Richard, president & CEO of the Tampa Bay Economic Development Council.
12. What is your cellphone wallpaper image? Hawaiian mountains.
13. What do you listen to in the car? R&B.
14. What is your go-to drink order? Old-fashioned.
15. Favorite candy? Sour Patch Kids.
16. Do you suffer from Primenesia (the act of ordering from Amazon and forgetting about it)? Surprisingly, no.
17. Pool or beach? Pool.
18. Charity you support? YMCA.
19. Favorite childhood memory? Camping on the beach with my family.
20. Words of advice? “Working hard for something we don’t care about is called stress; working hard for something we love is called passion” — Simon Sinek