John Graydon Smith began as president and chief executive officer of Tampa’s Museum of Science and Industry, also known as MOSI, in April 2022.
He relocated to Tampa from the Reading, Pennsylvania area where, since 2010, he served as director and CEO of the Reading Public Museum, Arboretum and Neag Planetarium.
Smith arrived to Reading from the Albany, New York, area where he served as president and CEO of the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology from 2006-10.
1. College alma mater? University of Indianapolis — BS in marketing and political science; Butler University — master’s degree in business administration, marketing concentration.
2. Last show you binge-watched? If it isn’t live sports, it probably isn’t on my television.
3. Favorite place for a business meeting? Any golf course.
4. iPhone or Android? Android.
5. What did you eat for lunch today? Mixed greens salad with apples and walnuts.
6. We’ll find you on the weekend doing? Cooking and relaxing with family.
7. What movie terrified you as a child? Jaws.
8. Proudest moment? Watching my kids doing, virtually, anything.
9. Dream dinner companion? Ian Fleming (the British writer best known for his James Bond series of spy novels).
10. Any pets? Not any more.
11. Best concert you’ve ever seen live? Barenaked Ladies (Last Summer on Earth Tour).
12. What is your cellphone wallpaper image? My family at Saratoga.
13. Most famous person you’ve ever met? President George Bush (when he was governor of Texas).
14. What is your go-to drink order? Bourbon, one cube.
15. Favorite candy? See’s Dark Bordeaux.
16. Last thing you ordered from Amazon? Patio furniture covers.
17. Pool or beach? Beach, preferably at a lake (remember Jaws?)
18. Charity you support? MOSI, of course.
19. Favorite childhood memory? Dinner at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon after we hiked it rim to rim.
20. Words of advice? Do good. Be good. It’s all good.