Tampa Bay’s business heavy hitters packed into the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Tampa to hear the annual update from the Tampa Bay Economic Development Council. The theme this year: Driven. (See photos of the event below)
Among the wins the EDC shared were the start of its three-year strategic plan, new partnerships, like its work with Tampa General Hospital to expand Tampa’s medical and research district, and the EDC’s formation of a 501(c)3 corporation, Opportunity Tampa Bay, or OTBI.
“It’s always exciting to update our Investors, elected officials and partners on all the notable initiatives we have underway and the important role they all play in our success,” said Craig J. Richard, president and chief executive officer of the Tampa Bay Economic Development Council. “We are overwhelmed by the positive feedback we’ve received from those in attendance and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of our sponsors, for their support, in making the night a huge success.”
Following the annual meeting, Tampa Bay Business and Wealth reached out to Richard and asked him to recap the five most important takeaways from the event.
Five top takeaways from the Tampa Bay EDC Annual Meeting:
- The opportunity to share updates on our collaborations with community partners. For example, our “Make It Tampa Bay” talent attraction campaign, with Visit Tampa Bay and Hillsborough County, and our new partnership with Tampa General Hospital to grow the Tampa Medical and Research District.
- The unveiling of our new “Welcome to Tampa Bay” video (see video above) that was made possible by our sponsor JPMorgan Chase and produced by Diamond View Studios. We’ll use this video in our marketing materials and during site visits with prospective companies.
- Tracking our progress with our Strategic Plan, particularly when it comes to our placemaking and talent attraction and development goals.
- Welcoming our new slate of executive officers to, officially, take the reins on our 2024 fiscal year. This year’s officers include Joe Lopano, CEO of Tampa International Airport, as chair; Ron Christaldi, managing partner at Shumaker, as vice chair; Archie Collins, president and CEO of TECO, as secretary/treasurer; and Ben Dachepalli, partner at Bradley, as general counsel.
- Lastly, the evening provided an outstanding networking opportunity for Tampa Bay’s top business and community leaders and elected officials.
Photos by James Ostrand
Video by Diamond View Studios