CEO/Executive Director, Tampa Hillsborough County Expressway Authority
Greg Slater is the executive director and chief executive officer of the Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority which owns, manages and operates the Selmon Expressway, Meridian Avenue, Brandon Parkway and the Selmon Greenway.
Slater has more than two decades of public service experience, in various transportation modes, most recently serving as secretary of the Maryland Department of Transportation. He oversaw 17,000 lane miles of highways, 2,500 bridge structures and numerous tolled facilities including two tollways, two tunnels and four major bridge structures, as well as a local and commuter bus network, a light rail metro system, commuter rail and paratransit services.
THEA processes 58 million toll transactions, and serves almost 2 million customers, annually, with an investment plan to deliver over $1.2 billion in capital improvements to the community, over the next 10 years.
1. College alma mater? Towson University, in Maryland.
2. Last show you binge-watched? The Quarterback and Homeland series, on Netflix.
3. Favorite place for a business meeting? A neutral site that is outside the purpose of the meeting, itself. Walk and talks are great too.
4. iPhone or Android? iPhone at home. Android at work.
5. What time do you wake up on workdays? My alarm goes off at 3:48 a.m.
6. What part of your morning routine can you not miss? My complete morning routine is critical for me: coffee, faith and reflection, exercise and drive to the office.
7. What movie terrified you as a child? Definitely “Children of the Corn,” in 1984.
8. Proudest moment? Seeing my children as happy and kind human beings.
9. Dream dinner companion? My Grandfather. He passed away when I was very young, but my mother always told me how much we would have connected.
10. Biggest business failure? The times that stick with me, on failures, are more community driven than business driven. The biggest business failures I’ve experienced are when one of our team members don’t make it home that day. Unfortunately, I’ve experienced that a few times.
11. Best concert you’ve ever seen live. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, in a small bar venue, outside of Baltimore.
12. What is your cellphone wallpaper image? A picture of the Gulf. I love our beautiful beaches in the Tampa Bay region.
13. Most famous person you’ve ever met? Too many to pick one. I’ve been blessed to work with several.
14. What is your go-to drink order? Water, Diet Coke or a good bourbon with a big ice cube.
15. How do you manage the volume of emails you receive? Triage and sweat.
16. Last thing you ordered from Amazon? Running shoes.
17. Emojis in the workplace, yay or nay? Nay, not my thing.
18. Charity you support? I like to focus on community-based organizations that help people in need and focus on helping kids who are struggling.
19. Favorite childhood memory? Summer beach vacations fishing, crabbing and just being on the water.
20. Best advice ever received? Ask questions and focus on the outcome within the pain of the process.