Joe Handy has more than 20 years of experience in leading cultural institutions.
He joined CMA, in 2022, from the National Black MBA Association, where he served as president and chief executive officer.
In 2005, Handy joined the Georgia Aquarium’s founding team as director of visitor services and went on to serve as the Aquarium’s president and chief operating officer, in 2017.
Handy has served on several committees including the Kennesaw State University Foundation Board of Trustees and the Strategic Planning Committee, the advisory boards of KSU Business School and the Morehouse Leadership Honor Society and the board of directors for the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and the Metro Atlanta Chamber.
He also has received a number of accolades including the Atlanta Business League 2018 Men of Influence Award, the Georgia Senate Remarkable and Distinguished Georgian Resolution in March 2019, ICABA – Atlanta’s Leading Influencers award in May 2019, and Secretary of State’s Outstanding Georgia Citizen award in July 2019. He served as executive in residence at Kennesaw State’s College of Business for the Fall 2019 semester, is a member of the Leadership Atlanta 2019 class and chairman of the board for Atlanta Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children.
1. College alma mater? Kennesaw State University (Georgia).
2. Last show you binge-watched? All American.
3. Favorite place for a business meeting? Seaweed, in Clearwater.
4. iPhone or Android? iPhone.
5. What time do you wake up on workdays? 6:30 a.m.
6. What part of your morning routine can you not miss? Checking emails.
7. What movie terrified you as a child? Dreamscape.
8. Proudest moment? Buying my first house.
9. Dream dinner companion? My father.
10. Biggest business failure? Not investing in Pixar.
11. Best concert you’ve ever seen, live? Luther Vandross.
12. What is your cellphone wallpaper image? Rhino.
13. Most famous person you’ve ever met? Coretta Scott King.
14. What is your go-to drink order? Macallan 12.
15. How do you manage the volume of emails you receive? I unsubscribe to everything and get help from my executive assistant.
16. Last thing you ordered from Amazon? A video game.
17. Emojis in the workplace, yay or nay? Yay.
18. Charity you support? CASA (domestic violence support services).
19. Favorite childhood memory? Family dinners, with the whole family, during the holidays.
20. Best advice ever received? Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.